Dr. Breite and Dr. Rein are both in the office during their normal hours

Friday, February 23, 2007

Should You Learn the Heimlich Manuever?

I have to admit I was a bit suprised when I read this. But according to Lenore Skenazy in the New York Sun, the American Heart Association is now recommending three ways to help a choking victim. These are (in the order you should try them)
  1. A hard back slap right between the shoulder blades. If that doesn't work...
  2. The Heimlich Manuever (now just called abdominal thrusts). And if that fails...
  3. Chest compressions (as you would do for CPR)

Don't worry if you do Heimlich first (I will still give the man the credit her deserves). The most important thing in the case of choking is to act quickly.

PS: I tried to go to the AHA website to find this new guideline. Its not officially posted, but you can buy it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry if you do Heimlich first (I will still give the man the credit he deserves)

Interesting article, thanks for posting. I did some Googling and found something else interesting. Another doctor claims he was denied credit for developing the Heimlich.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.